- 1lb (450g) butter
- 1lb (450g )sugar
- 1lb (450g) plain flour
- 10 eggs separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
Pound Cake Recipe
By Susan, Lancashire
Pound Cake is essentially an American version of the classic British Victoria Sponge Cake, and is traditionally based on 1lb of butter, sugar and flour. This basic pound cake recipe can easily be adapted to Almond Pound Cake by removing the lemon rind and adding 2 teaspoons of almond extract (essence). Alternatively add 6oz (150g) chocolate chips for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake or for Chocolate Pound Cake simply substitute 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cocoa.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- In separate bowl beat the egg yolks. Add to mixture.
- Sift flour salt and baking powder and add to mixture
- Add grated lemon rind and vanilla extract.
- Divide the mixture into 2 x 2lb loaf tins
- Bake for approx 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes @ 170°C/ 340°C / Gas Mark 4
Have you baked our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.