- 6oz (150g) self raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2oz (50g) butter or margarine
- 3oz (75g) caster sugar
- 2 good tablespoons marmalade
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 75ml water & 75ml orange juice (boiling)
Moist Orange Cake,
Moist Orange Cake Recipe
Delicious traditional orange cake recipe, which is lovely and moist. As an alternative you can bake moist lemon cake – simply replace the orange zest, juice and marmalade with lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon marmalade.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and orange zest into a large mixing bowl
- Melt the butter (or marg), marmalade and sugar in a pan (stirring continuously)
- Pour onto the dry ingredients and beat well
- Add the beaten egg and stir
- Finally add the boiling water/ orange juice
- Beat the mixture until bubbles appear on the surface
- Pour into a lined 2lb loaf tin
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes at 180°C/ 360°F/ Gas Mark 4
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes then turn the cake onto a cooling rack
Comments: The flavour will develop, so try to leave it for 2 to 3 days wrapped in cling film before serving.
Have you baked our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.