- Shortcrust Pastry Ingredients:
- 4oz (100g) plain flour
- 1oz (50g) lard
- 1oz (50g) butter
- Pinch of salt
- Water (as required)
- Basic Sponge Cake Ingredients:
- 6oz (150g) margarine
- 6oz (150g) self raising flour
- 6oz (150g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Raspberry Jam (or jam of your choice)
Jam Pastry Slice,
Jam Pastry Slice Recipe
By Sylvia, Lancashire
This recipe incorporates a shortcrust pastry base and a traditional Victoria sponge cake recipe for the topping, with lashings of raspberry jam sandwiched in between.
Shortcrust Pastry Base:
- Always use half lard and half butter.
- Use half the amount of fat to flour eg. for 4oz (25g) flour use 2oz (50g) fat (1oz (25g) lard/ 1oz (25g) butter
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl
- Cut the fat into small pieces and add to the flour
- Lightly rub the fat into the flour as quickly as possible using your fingertips or the warmth from your hands will make the pastry oily and difficult to roll out
- Rub until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of water and start bringing the mixture together using a knife
- Gradually add more water until all the fat and flour is incorporated into the dough ball, leaving the bowl completely clean
- Place the pastry in cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and once at room temperature it’s ready to roll out
- Place the dough on a lightly floured board and roll out using a floured rolling pin
- Grease a rectangular swiss roll tin and cover with the pastry
- Spread generous amounts of jam on top
- Spread cake mixture on top
Basic Sponge Cake Recipe:
- Cream your margarine and sugar together, gradually add the sifted flour and beaten eggs until well mixed
- Bake in a moderate oven 180°C (350°F), gas mark 3 for 45 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tray until cool, then slice and serve
Have you baked our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.