How Do You Make a Cake?,
How Do you Make a Cake from Scratch?
Baking a cake is easy when you know how! Just follow this simple, quick and easy all in one Victoria sponge cake recipe for a delicious sponge cake.
- 8oz (150g) butter or margarine (a baking margarine such as Stork is fine)
- 8oz (150g) caster sugar
- 8oz (150g) self raising flour
- 4 eggs
Top 10 Tips
- Always sieve your flour – sieving from height adds air to your cake, helping it rise
- Use self raising flour wherever possible, or add 1 tsp of baking powder to every 4oz (100g) of plain flour
- Don’t have your oven too hot – 180°C (fan oven) is a perfect temperature
- Cook your cakes on the middle shelf to avoid them over cooking
- Don’t open your oven door until your cakes are golden brown (or they will sink)
- If using an 8oz (200g) mixture ie. 8oz (200g) SR flour, 8oz (200g) sugar, 8oz (200g) marg & 4 eggs always cook your mixture in two tins and sandwich the cakes together. They will cook far quicker than baking in a single tin
- Always use half the number of eggs to flour/ sugar/ margarine
- To make a chocolate cake substitute a tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of cocoa
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to your icing sugar if you like you icing hard
- Always store in an airtight container
By remembering these tips on How to Make a Cake, you should now be able to make a perfect cake !
Try these tips on any of The Cake Recipe’s easy to follow cake recipes – from baking cupcakes to birthday cakes.