- 150g (6oz) raisins
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
- 50g (2oz) currants
- 150g (6oz) soft brown sugar
- 1/2 pint strained cold (black) tea
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 200g (8oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
Fat Free Fruit Cake / Healthy Cake Recipe,
Fat Free Cake Recipe
Fat Free Fruit Cake
Rita comments: This traditional, easy Tea Bread recipe has been passed down through the generations in our family. It is called Tea Bread but is essentially a fatless Fruit Cake. Otherwise known as Tea Loaf. We serve it sliced and buttered, with a nice cup of tea.
- Place fruit in a large mixing bowl, add tea and mix well
- Leave overnight to soak
- Add egg, flour, sugar, baking powder and mixed spice to the soaked fruit and stir well
- Pour into a 2lb lined & greased tin
- Bake at 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4 for approx 1 hour 15 minutes until golden brown and risen (and an inserted skewer comes out clean)
- Remove from tin and leave to cool completely
- Remove from liner and place in cling film
- Store for 1 – 2 days before serving
Have you baked our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.