- 4oz (100g) butter
- 8oz (200g) sugar
- 4oz (100g) treacle
- 4oz (100g) golden syrup
Easy Treacle Toffee,
This is a really easy recipe, great for those starting out in toffee making! Traditionally served at Bonfire night, this treacle toffee is equally delicious all year round.
1) Melt the butter in a strong saucepan over a medium heat
2) Stir in the remaining ingredients (sugar, syrup & treacle)
3) Boil steadily without stirring until the mixture reaches the ‘hard crack stage’
4) To test the toffee has reached the ‘Hard Crack stage’ drop a teaspoonful of the hot mixture into a saucer of cold water. If the toffee starts to harden then it’s ready. If it doesn’t, keep boiling and testing it until this stage is reached.
5) Pour the toffee mixture into a lightly greased baking tray and leave to cool
6) Once cool, break into pieces with a toffee hammer and serve!
Comments: The longer you boil the mixture the harder the toffee will become. Make sure you boil it over a medium heat so it doesn’t burn. And remember, take extra care as the mixture will be extremely hot.
For a traditional Everton toffee recipe, simply omit the treacle and use 8oz (200g) golden syrup.