- 4oz (100g) self raising flour
- 4oz (100g) margarine
- 4oz (100g) caster or granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- Icing sugar
- 1 packet Strawberry Laces
Easy Buns Recipe,
This is a really easy buns recipe, which can be made in minutes, and is ideal for baking with your kids. Otherwise known as fairy cakes, here, we’ve decorated the buns (fairy cakes) with the St George’s cross, but they can be iced and decorated any way you choose.
Prep time: 10 minute
- Pre-heat your oven to 180° C (Gas Mark 4/ 375° F). Place 12 bun cases in bun/ muffin tray
- Cream together margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until soft.
- Add approx quarter of the flour & approx quarter of the eggs to the margarine/ sugar mixture, mix until blended. Repeat until all the flour & eggs have been used
- Spoon the mixture into your bun cases
Using Food Processor/ Mixer
- Blend the sugar, margarine, flour & eggs together
- Spoon the mixture into the bun cases
Bake for 12 – 15 minutes
How to test if your buns are ready
- Remove cakes from the oven. Push a knife into the centre of one, if the knife comes out clean your buns are ready, if cake mixture is stuck to the knife, bake for a another few minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
- Leave cakes to cool slightly and then place on a wire tray to cool completely.
George Cross / England Decoration
- Make up your icing sugar (as directed on the packet)
- Spread evenly over one bun and add strawberry laces (cut to the size required)
- Leave to set
Finally, invite your friends round for an England party and eat your lovely buns / fairy cakes!
Author: Anna, age 10
Have you baked any of our bun or fairy cake recipes? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.