Currant Cake ,
Currant Cake Recipe
This currant cake recipe is a perfect recipe for making use of your leftover pastry. It’s very much an approximation, as it depends how much pastry you have left over. It’s surprising, even a small amount of pastry can make a generous sized currant cake. My mum’s been using this recipe for years.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
- Roll your remaining pastry into a round – to approx 5mm thickness
- Place a handful of currants, 1 – 2 tablespoons of sugar, and a few small knobs of butter onto the middle of the pastry
- Bring the outside of the pastry to the centre (like a purse) and press together so all the currants are covered
- Turn the pastry over and roll it out again to approx 5mm thickness
- Brush the top of the pastry with milk and sprinkle with plenty of brown sugar
- Cook for approx 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Leave to cool and serve with butter!
Comment: If you require a recipe for easy shortcrust pastry see ‘How to make Shortcrust Pastry’ in our blog section http://www.thecakerecipe.co.uk/how-to-make-shortcrust-pastry/.
Have you baked our currant cake recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.