- 4oz (100g) butter
- 4oz (100g) caster sugar
- 4oz (100g) self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon cold, strong black coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Buttercream Topping/ Frosting:
- 5oz (125g) unsalted butter
- 10oz (250g) icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold, strong black coffee
Easy Coffee Cupcake Recipe:
This lovely coffee cupcake recipe includes a delicious coffee buttercream icing.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C fan , 180°C , 350°F/ gas mark 4.
- Put 12 muffin cases into a muffin/ bun tray
- Cream together the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer (this should only take approx 3 minutes using an electric hand mixer)
- Gradually add the eggs, about a tablespoon at a time and beat after each addition
- Mix in the vanilla extract. Sift the flour into the bowl
- Gently fold the flour into the mixture until thoroughly mixed
- Add 1 tablespoon cold, strong black coffee and mix gently
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about two thirds full
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden and slightly raised
- To check they are cooked insert a skewer into the centre of one of the cakes – it should come out clean. If the mixture is stuck to the skewer return the cakes to the oven and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tins to cool for approx 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Coffee Butter Cream/ Frosting
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl, and beat using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until soft
- Gradually sift in the icing sugar mixing well after each addition (the more you beat the lighter and fluffier the frosting will be)
- Beat in 1 – 2 tablespoon cold, strong black coffee ( to give a soft consistency to allow for piping)
The Cake Recipe Team Comments:
- If not using the butter cream/ frosting straight away it can be stored for up to a week if stored in the fridge. Once removed from the fridge it should be left for at least an hour to obtain room temperature
- See our blog for tips on the perfect coffee buttercream topping http://www.thecakerecipe.co.uk/perfect-coffee-buttercream-icing/
Have you baked our coffee cupcake recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.