- 100g (4oz) margarine
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g (4oz) self raising flour
- 1 flat tablespoon cocoa
- 1 small carton whipping cream
- Icing sugar (to dust)
- Your favourite jam (optional)
Chocolate Butterfly Buns,
Chocolate Butterfly Buns Recipe
This is a really easy chocolate sponge cake recipe, used here for making chocolate butterfly buns / cupcakes. This recipe and can be used to make either an 8″ chocolate cake or to make 12 chocolate butterfly buns as directed below.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350F / Gs Mark 4
- Line a 12 hole muffin try with bun cases
- Place the butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl, then sift in the flour and cocoa powder
- Beat by hand or with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until firm in the centre.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Gently cut a circle off the top of the buns
- Cut this top in half
- Fill the chocolate buns with whipped cream and then press the two cut pieces into the cream at an angle to resemble butterfly wings
- Dust with icing sugar
Comments: I also add a little jam into the butterfly buns, prior to adding the whipped cream to add a little fruitiness.
Have you baked our chocolate butterfly buns recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own baking recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.