- 250g (10oz) plain flour (sieved)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g (7oz) caster or granulated sugar
- 125g (5oz) blackberries (frozen)
- 250ml milk
- 90ml vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- Demerara sugar to decorate (optional)
As the blackberry season is now upon us we thought we’d pull together a few great, easy baking recipes using seasonal blackberries. This blackberry muffin recipe is brilliant and works perfectly every time.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C fan oven , 350°F or gas mark 6. Put 12 muffin cases into a muffin/ bun tray
- Place the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar ingredients into a bowl & mix. Add the frozen blackberries and fold gently ensuring they are all coated (this should prevent them sinking)
- Place all liquid ingredients into a measuring jug & stir
- Pour the dry ingredients into the jug containing the liquid ingredients and gently mix together until they form a batter (don’t worry if there are still lumps – lumpy batter makes the best muffins!)
- Fill the muffins cases to approx ¾ full
- Sprinkle demerara sugar on the top of the muffins to add extra crunch and cook for 25 minutes or until the muffins have risen and are soft to touch (alternatively gently insert a knife into the centre of one of the muffins and if this comes out clean they’re ready)
- Remove the blackberry muffins from the oven and leave in the tins to cool for approx 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
We used freshly picked blackberries, but froze the blackberries the night before to ensure they don’t become mushy when you stir them into the muffin mixture.
Have you tried our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Do you have any favourite blackberry recipes? Why not submit your own recipe and we’ll publish it for others to share. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.