- 100g ( 4oz) butter
- 100g (4oz )golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g (6oz) self raising flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g (3oz) chocolate chips
- 25g (1oz) peppermint sweets (crushed)
- For the buttercream / mint icing:
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 150g (6oz) icing sugar
- peppermint flavouring or extract
- green food colouring
- 6 chocolate squares / after-eights (cut into triangles)
After Eight Mint Choc Cupcakes,
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350F / Gs Mark 4
- Line a 12 hole muffin try with deep paper cases
- Place the butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl, then sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Beat by hand or with an electric mixer until smooth, then fold in the chocolate chips, and the crushed mints.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until firm in the centre.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
For the icing/frosting:
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together with 1 tbsp warm water, the peppermint extract and the food colouring. Place in a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake.
- Cut the chocolate into triangles and place one on top of each cake.
- Keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- Always store in a cool place.
Have you baked our recipe? We’d love to know your thoughts and suggestions? Please leave a comment below.
Or, why not submit your own recipe for others to share and be in with a chance of winning £20 M & S vouchers. It’s really easy just click on the ‘Submit A Recipe’ tab – no registration required.